The barn at the Bair Museum was constructed in the early 1940s just prior to Charlie
Bair’s death in 1943. Until Alberta Bair’s passing it was used as part of the sheep
ranching operations, although from time to time shipments of furniture and silver
from Europe would be unloaded and unpacked in the barn. Alberta would go over to
the barn first to see if anything had arrived damaged. After reporting back to an
anxious Marguerite waiting in the house that all was fine, the sisters would both
inspect their latest purchases with excitement.
In the early years following the opening of the Bair House Museum the barn underwent
some modest changes to function as a visitors’ center where guests would pay admission
to take a tour of the house, browse the gift shop, and enjoy many family photographs
that expanded on the history of the Bair family and their role in the sheep ranching
industry in the first half of the 20th century.
Today visitors now enter through the new Art Museum but the barn still retains its
“barn atmosphere.” Rough-hewn beams notched with old notes and directions and the
slight whiff old hay are still comingled with a display of Bair family photographs
and memorabilia, Charlie Bair’s fishing rods and sextant, and the Bair ladies’ luggage
that at one time travelled to Los Angeles, Oregon, Arizona, Hawaii, New York Canada,
Mexico, and Europe.